Friday, September 9, 2011

The first week of School

I had wanted to wait until G completed his whole first week of school before posting about it. But, he kinda did yesterday, not but really. If that makes any sense. Thursday, yesterday actually, he came home and was acting a bit off. We thought maybe he had gotten in trouble again like he did on the first day of school. Which was an understandable reason as to why he got into trouble. He wasn't used to the schedule and that lunch and snacks are at certain times, so constantly asking is going to land you in time out. It did. He wasn't punished at home. I had to have a long talk with him though. Information needs to be dragged out of him. I can tell something is wrong but he won't just let it out. So I talk, he answers, I slowly get it out of him. It works. No mean mom stuff.

Anyways, the 2nd day according to him was much better. They did math and science. They had 3 recess' and even a nap. Then yesterday, he came home. Told me he had a good day. But we could tell something wasn't right. He just wasn't himself. We thought maybe he got into trouble again and didn't want to tell us for fear of getting into trouble. Which wouldn't happen, unless it was something very serious. If it was another issue like being warned and not stopping, then going into time out, punishment was done, no need to carry over at home. A quick talk would be it. But he said he didn't get into trouble and swore up and down. I believe him. Then, he started getting upset (about an hour after being home). Complaining of not being able to swallow because it hurt. J looked in his throat, it was red. He felt warm. So off to Urgent Care. My children have this thing about doing any sort of injury or illness during Dr hours it seems. Anyways, we get there. Red throat, coughing, runny nose, sounding stuffed up. He still complained of swallowing hurting and was wallowing. I cuddled him and tried to make him laugh.

Dr. saw him, confirmed red throat. Did a swab test and we waited about 10 minutes for the results. It came back negative. It was being sent out for a culture but he was thinking it was viral and would just pass through soon. So, off we went. He got worse through the night so I ended up calling off on his first Friday. Didn't want too but I wasn't sending him in case he was contagious. So he knew there was no playing around today, which honestly he didn't look like he could. He's been holding a mild fever all day, very lethargic. We made up a makeshift bed in our room. Bunch of blankets on the floor for cushion and he has 2 himself to cover up with. I have the fan in our window because he's been going between hot and cold. He can also watch movies without being downstairs and getting his little brothers sick. My poor guy. First week of school and he already caught his first bug.

J and I have been chugging Emergen-C like it's going out of style. We know it's evident we'll eventually get sick, but hey, we can at least attempt to hold it off for as long as possible!

So, that's his first technical week. :)

1 comment:

  1. OH NO! I feel so bad for him that he is sick his first week of school. :( NOT FAIR! :(